Monday, May 18, 2009

Kid Mitten Proto-type

My friend Michelle and I are trying to develop a kid mitten pattern for felting. When you live in Minnesota, warm mittens are a must. And felted mittens have the added advantage of being mostly water-proof. (Perfect for snowball fights in case you were wondering *wink*)

So here is my first attempt - pre-felting. I based the size on my sons hand. His hand is about 2/3's the size of mine. And since items tend to shrink approximately 1/3 in felting, it was a great place to start! Here is the right mitten:

And here it is on my hand......fits perfectly.

Now if it felts the way I am expecting, it should be a great fit. I have a few problems with my design, but I plan on knitting the left mitten mostly the same (one minor tweak.) I will modify the design after I've felted these. I think I'm on the right track, just some minor modifications. And then I need to determine how to make larger ones as my kids get older.

Knit on!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh these are cute!!