Wednesday, January 30, 2008

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH.....


So I've wanted to make this fabulous lace scarf for quite awhile. I ordered some clearance lace weight yarn from KP and thought it would be gorgeous in this pattern. All I have to say at this point is "Arrrrrgggghhhh."

I can accept defeat. I cannot knit with a lace weight yarn. What you see in the picture is several attempts at this pattern that took me nearly 3 days to complete. The black strings you see are lifelines - a marker placed so you don't have to rip out all of your knitting if you make a mistake. Don't ask me how many attempts I made before I started putting in lifelines.

Since I still want to make this scarf, I went to my LYS today for some fingering weight yarn. (Fingering weight is just one step up from lace weight. It will still provide a nice lacey look, but will give the yarn more stability and will be easier to work with.)

After only 2 hours working, here is what I now have:(and this will look much better after blocking. 4 repeats down - 23 to go!!)

What this has taught me (other than I cannot knit with lace weight), is that it's OK to try again. Admit defeat, it's not the end of the world. I put the blue version on a stitch holder so all is not lost. I may pick it up again later, or I may not. Either way I'm OK with it. It's not the end of the world. Whew........so glad to have that off my chest!

Knit on!

2 comments:

Rachael Peters said...

I think it takes a lot of guts to even try that pattern. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Judy Rozema said...

I know what you mean - I crochet.....ripping out is not my favorite thing!! But I do love the new one - you can really see the pattern! It will be lovely!!